My sister, Teresa, lovingly arranged her table
for our Christmas dinner.
We decorated this dining room by mixing family heirlooms with a modern chandelier. The antique settee is updated and covered in chocolate leather with nail heads to form a banquet.
With the white Irish linen and silver, this would also make a pretty setting for an intimate New Year's Eve party. Notice how Teresa tucked rosemary branches from her garden into the napkin rings.
As we sat down to eat, we each placed the rosemary into the bouquets...so fragrant!
I prepared the first course. It's impressive, light and easy...
Lobster, Grapefruit, Avocado Salad
adapted from Here
serves 8 small first courses
1 large cooked, chilled lobster tail (or you could cook it yourself)
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 pink or ruby red grapefruits
1 large firm-ripe California avocado
8 cups baby greens
Coarse ground sea salt to taste
1. Dressing: stir the shallot, lemon juice and salt in small bowl and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Then add the oil with a small whisk.
2. Cut the peal and pith from the grapefruits and take the segments out of the membranes and cut in half...put on paper towels to drain...ok, this was a little time consuming, but worth it.
3. Half the avocado and cut into 1/2" cubes
4. Cut the lobster tail in half and slice
5. Divide the grapefruit, avocado and lobster on eight salad plates
6. Top each mixture with a handful of the greens and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve right away. Everyone really liked it.
LOOK at this giant box of See's Candies that my mom received!
I'm glad it is still at her house...I'd like a couple candies now!
Another thing that I like is a gift that I won from Pink Martini's and Pearls. Have you seen Marilyn's great blog and spectacular cookies?
Here are the Vera Bradley cosmetic bags that I won!
It's from The Charming Shoppe online.
Today is our sweet, funny daughter, Alie's birthday. She was born 25 years ago on a cold, snowy night in Bronxville, New York.
It's been fun ever since.
I hope 2013 brings you and your family
good health, wisdom and warm hugs.
Remember to give away a smile
and voice a sincere compliment.
We are all in this together, and I am grateful.
Happy New Year!