2. Buying a Sectional Sofa (if it's not for the long haul). Right now, I have clients who purchased a sectional just before buying their first home. It's oriented like this one...and can't be separated or switched around. Due to the living room floor plan and door openings...it's awkward.
You are safer buying a sofa if you plan to move.
3. Hanging your artwork too high. You might know that the center of the art should be about eye level or 57" from the floor (good rule of thumb). But it can be different for art placed above a sofa--where I often see it placed too high. It needs to relate to the sofa...about five to eight inches above it, as in this photo.
Also, try to have art (in multiples if necessary) at least two thirds the length of the sofa so it doesn't feel lost.
4. Hanging your chandelier too high or too low.It should be about 30 to 36" above your table since you are sitting.
This dining room is about to get a makeover, including lowering the light fixture a bit.
5. Foam or Too Firm Accent Pillows Indulge yourself with down or down alternative inserts. For plump pillows, order the inserts two to four inches larger than the cover like with mine. You can sink into these.
6. Not Testing Paint Colors When we were first married, I left to go to work in downtown Manhattan after giving the painter a chip of what I thought would be a subtle shell pink for our bedroom. I came back to this over the whole room...
And lighting is different in every room and really affects the saturation.
7. Hanging Curtains Too High off the floor I like them to just kiss the floor.
Often, curtains will stretch from gravity over time and will gently puddle anyway...this is a nice effect, too.
8. Lack of Personal elements or history You don't want your space to look like a hotel room. Gather things with meaning like:
Books of places you've travelled, photographs, family hand-me-downs/heirlooms, collections (for example, our daughter is collecting vintage globes). What interests you? It will make your home unique to you.
Speaking of personal...do you follow me on Instagram?
Participating in Wow Us Wednesdays.