1. Set the table in advance.
- Store bought flowers are added to my existing succulent pots.
- I love my new oversized gray table runner and the price!
- The linen napkins are from a Schumacher remnant sale (you can look on Ebay for fabric). Fran from Etsy did a nice job making napkins for $3.50 each.
- The charcoal glasses are on sale right now (in store only) at World Market.
2. Shop and prepare menu items in advance.
Disclaimer...this isn't hard but the darn onions take a loooong time to brown. So making it ahead is your best bet!
PHOTO BY CHARLES MASTERS, FOOD STYLING BY SUE LI
Your guests will appreciate the aroma when they enter your home and you can have a cocktail with them while it finishes cooking.
I make this often for just us (good leftovers for the week).
Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley on the platter.
- Store Bought Lemon Sorbet with a Spritz of Meyer Lemon (and lemon slice garnish)
- Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lacey Almond Cookies
To be honest...after the holidays, I'm trying to cut back calories and so baking is not in the cards since I have zero self control. But you want your guests to have a little something sweet and this works nicely (not to mention--how easy?). The fresh lemon juice squeeze is an old trick of my mom's.
Thoughtful Valentine's Day Card Idea...
My cousin, Billy told me about the Pixinote telephone app.
It's fun, easy and inexpensive. I've been sending Valentine's Day cards with personalized messages, like to my mother-in-law in Florida...
It comes the good old-fashioned way...in the mail (postage is included)!
Happy Valentine's Day to YOU!