Welcome to Project Design where Cindy from Rough Luxe Lifestyles and I recruit other design bloggers to give their advice on specific projects.
Here are my 10 low cost tips to refresh your living room...
1. Bring the outside in. Living in San Francisco with views of the Bay, inspired me to bring in calming sky blues and soft grays.
2. Have you considered painting the back of your bookcase?
Paint is an inexpensive refresh--especially if you do it yourself. In the blue/gray theme, I painted ours Benjamin Moore Sterling.
I love the way the color changes throughout the day.
3. Restyle your shelves. In my case, I wanted
- soft, muted colors
- more white
- books grouped by color
4. Use what you already own. I group collections together.
5. This inexpensive mirror reflects light and the view. At $29 from IKEA, it could also work behind a cocktail bar or above a dresser.
6. Flowers can really give you a fresh look! These are from Trader Joe's.
Splurge on a stylish new vase like this one from West Elm.
And in case you missed it…
read how to arrange flowers like a pro here.
7. Use a less costly twin bed blanket as a throw.
Recently, I bought this soft herringbone blanket on sale at Target for $25 (it's folded in quarters and was much less expensive than cashmere one from Restoration Hardware on the other sofa below).
8. New Pillows cost less than new furniture :) More on my new pillows (I'm so happy) in a future post.
9. Look around your living room. Could changing the hardware on a piece give it new life? Like I did here with pulls from Anthropologie...
10. Wash the slipcovers or professionally clean the upholstery--or at least flip your seat cushions.
Clean slipcovers: mean that Chief is temporarily banned from the sofas unless he is on his blanket…
Run over and get some good inspiration from these ladies…I bet you will love your "new" living room after trying a few of their tips.